The Women’s Exchange of Washtenaw (WXW) and the Women Lawyer’s Association of Michigan(WLAM) are hosting a networking event on Thursday, April 21st. To help ease the anxiety of networking, listed below are 5 helpful tips.
- Be prepared! Bring your business cards, name tag, schedule/calendar, pen and anything else you may need.
- Act like the host. Pretend the event is your own party and be there early. Be sure you know where the food/drinks are as well as the bathrooms, so you can help others find them. In other words, be the hostess with the most-ess.
- Talk less and listen more! Remember, you are here to create a network of relationships not a commercial for your business or services. Be sure to ask questions and engage in conversation.
- Don’t do business at the event! This is the time for you to make connections, set up an appointment to do business after the event when you follow-up.
- Be a connector. A good networker is generous, and helps to introduce others. Being known as a connector is very powerful. People want to connect with the connector.